Limoncello Meringue sous vide cocktail
May 7, 2020
Chickpea liquid—yes!—creates a luxurious (and vegan) meringue in this summer drink.
10 organic lemons
500 gm sugar
250 ml clover honey
1 liter vodka
750 ml water
45 ml sous-vide honey limoncello
45 ml vodka
30 ml fresh lemon juice
30 ml canned low-sodium chickpea liquid, strained
FOR THE HONEY LIMONCELLO:
- Preheat water bath to 60°C.
- Wash and peel lemons, trimming off any of the white pith from the peels. Juice the lemons and reserve.
- In a large sous vide pouch, combine the lemon peels with the rest of the ingredients. Chill liquid to 3°C or colder, then seal the pouch.
- Cook in water bath for 3 hours, gently shaking once or twice to make sure the sugar is evenly dissolved. Remove the pouch from the water and strain the limoncello, while still warm, through a coffee strainer.
- Chill, then transfer to a bottle or lidded container. Makes two liters.
Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake for about 20 seconds. Remove shaker lid and fill with ice, then cover and shake well for another 20 seconds. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish the top of the drink with a few drops of bitters, running a toothpick through the drops to create a swirled effect.